Monday, April 21, 2008

The art of social graces

I try to be positive overall here on the blog, but there is something that is really bugging me today. Not just today, this subject bugs me a lot, in fact I would call it my #1 pet peeve. The thing to which I am referring is the art of "RSVP ing" My friends at church as a group have had many a long drawn out conversation about the RSVP, yet these very friends who like to talk about it (along with countless others) still do not practice it. Here I will set forth the rules of a proper response.

1. You get an invitation in the mail, by phone, or in person.

2. Out of kindness & respect for the person who invited you to do whatever thing it is (this is a privilege , you know, they could have invited someone else, but they chose YOU bozo!), you call them back, email them or tell them in person "Thank you for inviting me. I am really honored." Then you further respond (in person, by phone, by email, by letter) with one of the following:

A. I will be accepting your invitation. Is there any thing I can bring or do to help you?

B. I will not be able to accept your invitation because.....this is where you tell them exactly why you cannot come. It makes them feel like you are not putting them off, but that you appreciate their gesture, yet something else is already planned for the day.

I don't consider myself to be too easily angered, but if you really want to PISS ME OFF, just don't do anything at all. That's right, no call, no speech, no email, no letter. Just don't show up, or do show up and act like I am doing you a favor by saving a place for your sorry ass in my day. I have had it up to my eyeballs and over with people being rude!!!! Come on, have some common courtesy!! Communicate. Or the next time, you won't be invited. UGH

No comments: