Yes, it's true. After bragging incessantly about my perfect driving record, and how careful I am, I, Lauri Bernet had a fender bender a week and a half ago. I have been so so busy-which is why I haven't been blogging....and it happened on a busy day. I came out of my Moms In Touch prayer meeting downtown and got into the van, only to realize that DANG that car next to me is really really close, (I realized this after I had already begun backing out). NOW I am not saying the accident was not my fault,....but that car was really really really close. As in, I forgot to look, but I think it may have been a little on my side...but I digress... Anyway, I never heard a bump, grind or any noise, but I did notice a lady sitting in the car giving me a death glare and saw her mouth move. I was really not even moving-I literally rubbed against her car, but in that rub, there was over $300 worth of damage. I know it is so danged embarrasing. I managed to put a 5-8 inch scatch on her rear bumper and the scratch went down to the metal. The lady was pretty nice, and suggested I just pay her the $$ and not call the insurance. THat's part one of the story..
Part II-Lady calls me back and says she has an estimate within 2 hours. I thought this was very quick, but moved on. Then she called me like 3 more times that day, and I tried to think positive. We arranged to meet 2 days later so that I could Xerox the estimate at a local grocery store. I got, oh probably 4 or 5 more calls, and during this process, the lady mentions that she suffers from Short Term Memory Loss. I started to worry. and fret. and get paranoid about possible cheating and law suits and all other kinds of crap. and then I moved on with life. The day of the grocery store meeting, I was running errands, planning to come home & shower before meeting her at 9:15am, and then driving to KC for a Cat scan (different story involving kidney stones). In the meanwhile I had to go to the drug store and buy med for my kid with a cold, take med back to school & dose kid up. That done-I went home, hoping for my shower-and I saw that lady had called-she got confused and went to our meeting an hour and a half early. I called the store & calmed her down and then (without shower) headed over as fast as I could. Anyway Dory the fish (yes Nemo= short term memory loss=my experience with such) had also managed to cover herself in gasoline while filling up her car. This lady has some serious problems!!! So finally after a couple more days of it-I scraped together enough money to pay her, made her sign a letter stating that we had resolved our accident & hadn't heard form her.
If you're reading this, you might be thinking, wow, Lauri, didn't it occur to you to deny that you ever hit her car in the first place? The answer is yes, it did occur to me, and several of my friends mentioned it as well. The interesting thing is that the lady seemed to recall the events of the accident very clearly. Since I have paid her, I (thankfully) haven't heard a squeak. Isn't it interesting that she can control her selective short term memory? And why does this stuff happen to me? I wonder. Hmmmm
No comments:
Post a Comment