Thursday, September 25, 2008

Dang me, Dang me, you oughta take a rope & hang me

Sometimes I feel like I am living life in a time way too hip for me. I know all this trivial nonsense from many many decades that pre-date me. I come from a very musical family, and I have a curse of rarely forgetting a song-especially one that's irritating in any way....but I digress. The song that is stuck in my head is by Roger Miller, and the title is "Dang Me." Yes, that's right. The reason I am writing about this stupid song is the phrase has been in my head all day as a result of a stop I made....so rewinding a bit....




Today I made my 4th trip to George's Hobby House. It is a real business, a dusty, moldy little hidey-hole in Lawrence, Kansas. THe first time I went in, it was surprisingly busy, since I deemed it an unpopular venue-boy was I wrong. It is a hub of activity, partyly because in this small town that isn't really small at all, it is the only place to buy Tiger Scout uniforms. Or uniforms for any type of scouting as it turns out.

On my first trip, I planned to get everything-the uniform, the patches, the book, etc. etc. Trip #1-I came away with nothing-nada-zip.

Trip #2-I was able to get the book.

Trip #3-Ethan went with me, and after waiting at the register on "George" for 25 minutes, we got the patches, the shirt, and the belt, but alas, no scarf or slide. This was the trip when I discovered that "George" owns a joke book. After waiting 25 minutes on "George" who was distracted and temporarily kidnapped by some lady with 5 little girls needing Brownie uniforms, "George" did a Kramer slide into the register. (by now I could have escaped with all of his cash, heck I could have stolen the register.....) Anyway, he says, and this is a quote..."As I said to the doctor, I am sorry about the weight." I was just speechless, which is a very rare thing if you know me. Dang me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today (trip #4 in case you have forgotten how to count)-I went for the *)(@#*^)*&^(*&^ SCARF and the )(*#&$)*&^ )!*@#&^ SLIDE only to be told by "George" that they will arrive tomorrow. Right, George, sure. I believe you-in my nightmares!!! My girlfriend-in attempt at humor, suggested that maybe "George" has a crush on me. I certainly hope not, because let's just say that I'd like to hang "George" (and this is where the song comes in) 'from the highest tree -ee-eee-eee-'George, I am sure you are perfectly nice, but please, just order the BLANKETY BLANK scout stuff and let me move on with my life away from your hobby house. Thank you very much.

No comments: